lasko_naslovna_crop.jpg

  

Parochial churches are open during church services. Branches of the Laško Parish are open subject to advance booking and during ceremonies on patron saint's days.

 

Arch-parochial Church of St. Martin

It is believed that on the foundations of the present-day church, a missionary station from the time of Christianization stood in the 9th century. The construction of the church with a Romanesque design began in the second half of the 12th or in the 13th century, followed by countless reconstructions. The bell tower, the central nave and the ribbed vault still survive today. The ribbed vault is distinguished by an architectural style know as “the Laško group”, which was first featured in the Carthusian church in Jurklošter and later influenced the construction of several other churches in the Laško arch parish. The Church of St. Martin is an important Romanesque monument in Slovenia. It was reconstructed several times and features Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque and modern elements. The central nave and tower date back to the Romanesque period; the two side naves, including the northern nave dedicated to St. Anthony and the southern nave dedicated to Mary, were added in the Gothic period. The two chapels on eithr side of the presbytery, featuring frescoes of John Chrysostom, and the ten altars were built in the Baroque period. The exterior part of the Baroque chapel, dedicated to Francis Xavier, features a stone lion, the surviving part of a large Roman gravestone. In the Baroque period, it was reconstructed according to the period. Up until the beginning of the 19th century, the church featured a wall around the graveyard. Outside the presbytery, you will find a gothic pillar with a sanctuary lamp inside. The church that we know today dates back to 1935, when the last annex was completed.

The church is open to visitors by prior arrangement and during services.

Church services:
Mon, Wed: 7:30 (also the first Friday of every month)
Tue, Thur, Fri, Sat: 19:00
Tue, Thur, Fri, Sat: 18:00 (in winter)
Sunday services: 7:00, 9:00, 10:30

Show on map >>


Church of St. Hermacora, Šmohor

On the hill of Šmohor, you will find a church dedicated to St. Hermacora. The oldest and highest branch of the Laško Parish was first mentioned in writing in a document dating back to 1421. The church was reconstructed a few times; at the beginning of the 16th century, the presbytery and the bell tower were annexed. The church features the pulpit dating back to the 17th century, the main altar from the 18th century and the two side altars with Baroque elements from the 19th century. The exterior of the church is simple. It is surrounded by three majestic linden trees, planted in the Turkish period.

Show on map >>

 

Church of the Mother of God, Marija Gradec

The Church of the Mother of God is situated on the hill near the Lahomnica stream where it flows into the Savinja river. Its interior is distinguished by frescoes featuring Gothic and Renaissance elements; they are a rare fine arts monument in Slovenia. The construction of the church with no division into the nave and the presbytery began in 1505; it was extended in the 17th century. At that time, the main altar featuring a statue of the Mother of Carmel with baby was constructed. In the 18th century, four Baroque chapels dedicated to the Assumption of Mary, Christ, Sacred Heart and St. Peter, were built at the foot of the church hill. Until the 18th century local residents regularly performed Passion plays, with the crucifixion taking place on the front steps. The event is considered to be the earliest theatrical performance in Laško’s history. It is believed to have been held in Slovene language. Near the chapels stood a statue of Mary, which was later transferred to the Aškerčev trg square, where the Church of St. Martin stands.
Not far away from the church, you will find a mansion known as Hof zu Graz, which was built before the Church of the Mother of God. Throughout the history, many owners changed including the Jurklošter monastery, the counts of Cilli, the barons Mosconi etc. Today, the mansion houses the Čater restaurant.

Show on map >>

 

Church of St. Catherine, Kuretno

The Church of St. Catherine was built around the year 1500, which is why it is one of the oldest churches in the Laško parish. The central statue of the main altar depicts St. Catherine, with statues of St. Margaret, St. Apollonia, St. Barbara and St. Lucy next to her. The side altar opposite to the pulpit is dedicated to St. Dorothy and the Renaissance side altar is dedicated to St. Mark and features a painting called Adoration of the Magi by Albrecht Dürer, an important work from the first half of the 17th century. Until 1826, the church was surrounded by a graveyard, of which oval walls have remained up until today.

Show on map >>

 

Church of St. Michael, Šmihel

This pilgrims' church with two bell towers is dedicated to St. Michael. It was built between 1637 and 1641 and is one of the most important cultural monuments in the Savinja region. It features Gothic and Renaissance elements. The richly decorated interior includes golden altars: the main altar with a statue of St. Michael and four angels, two side altars and two nave altars. In the past, one of them was the main altar in the Church of St. Egidius in Zidani Most.
Seven chapels were built along the path from the foot to the top of Šmihel; four of them still survive today. They featured frescoes, which have been poorly preserved due to visitors’ signatures. The chapels were constructed by the Laško archpriest John Chrysostom Cobelli de Belmonte after the church had been built.

Show on map >>

 

Church of St. Christopher, Krištof

It is believed that the church was built on the foundations of its predecessor. The church was completed in 1738 and is dedicated to St. Christopher. Dated 1682, it houses the oldest organ in Slovenia, which was originally housed in the Church of St. Martin in Laško and was depicted on the former SIT 200 banknote.

Show on map >>

 

Church of the Lurd Mother of God, Rimske Toplice

The pilgrims' Church of the Lurd Mother of God, known as Lurd, was built in 1886. A few stones from the famous Lourdes Cave in France were built into the altar. The church soon attracted visitors and became a popular pilgrimage destination. The location of the church offers a wonderful view of Rimske Toplice.

Show on map >>

 

Church of Beatified Anton Martin Slomšek, Zgornja Rečica

sv_MartinaSlomska.jpg

sv_MartinaSlomska.jpg
The church is situated in the picturesque Rečica valley. It was designed by architect Janez Valentinčič, assistant to the renowned Slovenian architect Jože Plečnik. The church was built in 1939 and was temporarily dedicated to Slomšek’s patron saint Anthony the Great. In 2000, the church was dedicated to the beatified Anton Martin Slomšek. The main altar features his statue.
Plečnik’s influence reflects in the formation of the tower, interior design and the main altar. The exterior is distinguished by an interesting combination of different types of stone, brick and concrete elements. The church is famous for the balconies on the bell tower with concrete domes above them, which direct the ringing of the bells down the valley.

Show on map >>

 

Church of St. Maurice, Jurklošter

The monastery church of St. Maurice was built in 1227 and features the Late Romanesque style. It is the only part of the former Carthusian monastery to survive until today. In addition to this, you can still find a part of the wall and a defensive tower.
The church’s ground plan is long and narrow, characteristic of monastery churches. It is distinguished by a ribbed groin vault, a new feature in Slovenia at the time. Later it was also added to several other churches in the Laško region, now known as “the Laško group”. An interesting feature is the Gothic stone bell tower on wooden roofing. Its rich and fascinating interior houses a pulpit and altar dated 1868. The interior also features Late Romanesque and Early Gothic elements and the remains of Renaissance paintings. Also of note is the exterior: in the niches in the Neo-Romanesque façade, three people connected to the history of monastery and church are depicted. These include a statue of Bishop Henry I from Krško and a statue of John the Baptist; a statue in the middle niche is believed to depict either Leopold VI of Babenberg or St. Maurice.

Show on map >>

 

Jurklošter Carthusian Monastery, Jurklošter

Around 1170, French and Italian monks founded a Carthusian monastery in the narrow Gračnica valley. At the end of the 12th century, the monastery fell into disrepair for the first time. It was brought back to life in 1208 by Leopold VI of Babenberg, Duke of Styria. The construction of the Church of St. Maurice began by his order. The church featured an entirely new architectural style, known as “the Laško group”. It is distinguished by a ribbed groin vault. The Counts of Cilli were highly favourable of the monastery; they supported it financially and the monastery was granted judicial immunity and new territories. There is a tale relating to the Counts of Cilli and featuring Frederick II and Veronika of Desenice. It is about forbidden love, hiding behind the monastery walls and tragic death of Veronika of Desenice.
At the end of the 15th century, the monastery was destroyed by Turkish invaders. In the time of peasant revolts between 1573 and 1635 it was robbed by the local inhabitants. Until 1773, the monastery was occupied by Jesuits. The majority of the books from the monastery library were transferred to Graz, Austria. In its history, the monastery came under the ownership of various businessmen. At the end of World War Two, it was burnt down. Some remains of the majestic monastery, a defensive tower and the Church of St. Maurice still survive today.

Open to groups with advance booking or from May to October on Sundays and holidays 14:00¬–17:00.

More information:

Zavod Odon Jurklošter
Jurklošter 24
3273 Jurklošter
I: www.odon.si
E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
T: +386 (0)3 734 08 61

Show on map >>

 

Other churches

  • Church of Gertrude of Nivelles in Sedraž
  • Church of St. Margaret in Rimske Toplice
  • Church of Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary in Širje
  • Church of the Sacred Heart near Zidani Most
  • Church of St. Coloman in Lokavec
  • Church of St. Nicholas in Lažiše
  • Church of St. Cantianus in Polana
  • Church of St. Jodoc at the foot of Lisca
  • Church of the Holy Trinity above Lahov Graben
  • Church of St. Peter in Olešče
  • Church of St. Rupert in Šentrupert
  • Church of St. Leonard on Vrh nad Laškim

Show on map >>

 

Chapel of John of Nepomuk, Laško

Across the entire Austro-Hungarian Empire, images of John of Nepomuk were once held in virtually every city and town that was situated alongside the river. The statue shows the saint holding a finger to his lips; legend has it that he had refused to reveal the secrets of the confessional (Queen of Bohemia), which is why he died a martyr. John of Nepomuk, the patron saint of raftsmen, gave his blessings to numerous rafts on the Savinja river, where the river trade flourished in the past. The saint is also protector from floods.

Show on map >>

 

Chapel of St. Barbara, Trobni Dol

The chapel was originally dedicated to the Lurd Mother of God. Due to its bad condition, it was restored in 1993 and dedicated to St. Barbara. This modern chapel features a tower with two concave roofs. The statue of the saint is composed of clay, glass and iron. The chapel houses four bells; the most attractive to visitors is the wishing bell.

Show on map >>

 

Holy Well, Laško

This well has its source in the hill of Hum and was discovered at the time the Southern Railway was built. The thermal spring water was considered the highest quality drinking water in the Laško area. The well that we know today was constructed in 1906 by the Laško Tourism Association. A chapel was also built at that time, the well was restored and spruces were planted on the place where white birches grew.
Legend has it that on a hot summer day, a priest and his companion passed by a dried well. As the water was running very slowly and they suffered badly from thirst, the priest knelt in a short prayer and crossed the well, and so the water gushed out of the well and quenched their thirst. The well was named after this legend.

Show on map >>


Eucharistic cross

evharisticnikriz.jpg

evharisticnikriz.jpg
A 3-metre high cross is situated just before the top of Hum hill. It was originally manufactured in 1936 by Miloš Hohnjec, the master of his craft from Celje, and it was raised before Second World War in memory of the Eucharistic Conference in Ljubljana. During Second World War the cross was burnt down and no favourable circumstances seemed to occur for the cross to be set up again, what finally happened 50 years later. At the beginning, the cross held the figure of Jesus Christ (the original figure is being kept by the vicarage of St Martin), which was later replaced by the plate having written the following inscription on it:“I have been set up anew to a promise of very true parishioners and other townspeople of Laško.“

Show on map >>

Mostly cloudy

23°C

Laško

Mostly cloudy
Humidity: 31%
Wind: S at 11.27 km/h
Sunday 10°C / 24°C Mostly sunny
Monday 8°C / 23°C Scattered thunderstorms
Tuesday 10°C / 21°C Partly cloudy
Wednesday 10°C / 23°C Mostly sunny
Thursday 11°C / 19°C Scattered showers
Friday 8°C / 14°C Rain
Saturday 7°C / 16°C Mostly cloudy
okvir_m2.png
okvir_m2.png

  

© 2013 STIK,  Sport, tourism, information and cultural centre of Laško. Phone: +386 3 733 89 50. E-mail: tic@stik-lasko.si

NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it. Learn more

I understand