Old town centre

Laško Municipality – Lilie Family Castle

obcinskastavba.JPG

obcinskastavba.JPG
The mighty castle was built by Count Janez Vajkard Vetter von der Lilie. On the entrance portal, the Lilie coat of arms, dated 1676, can still be seen today. The castle remained in the possession of the Lilie family until 1945, when it passed into community ownership. The castle has always housed political authorities. Today, you will find there the mayor's office, the municipal administration and the Laško Municipality administrative unit. The castle once housed the county court and prisons. Today, the castle courtyard with a well is a venue for numerous events.

Show on map >>


Valvasorjev trg Square

valavasorjevtrg.jpg

valavasorjevtrg.jpg
The Valvasorjev trg square was named after Janez Krstnik Valvasor, one of the Laško estate pledge holders (15541581). In his time, a number of important buildings were renovated and built in Laško. Valvasorjev trg Square is one of the three squares that give Laško its characteristic appearance and are the traditional centres of everyday life in the town.

Show on map >>


Špital Building

pro.JPG

pro.JPG
The Špital building was built sometime around 1440 and is one of the oldest and most important town buildings. It was home to old and disabled people and neighboured a church dedicated to St. Elisabeth. This building is where the brewing industry in Laško began. In 1825, mead and gingerbread maker Franc Gayer converted it into a brewery and started brewing beer. In 1996, the Laško Brewery had it renovated into a hotel, restaurant and pub. Today, it houses the Laško Tourist Information Centre (TIC Laško), where you can buy homemade delicacies.

Show on map >>


Orožnov trg Square

The Orožnov trg square was once a commercial market with craftsmen creating various handmade products. The square comprised craftsmen's houses with workshops, particularly the kind that required water to operate (tanners, weavers and butchers). In the past, the Žikovca stream ran through the square; today, it runs below the surface.

meduza.JPG

meduza.JPG
The Medusa head is built into one of the houses on the Orožnov trg square. Medusa was a Roman demigoddess and guardian of doors and gates, who had snakes in place of hair. According to Greek mythology, she turned evil people to stone. The Medusa head shows that the Laško area was inhabited as early as in Roman times. On the same house, you will also find a stone head from the Middle Ages, probably brought there from the Špital chapel.

The square was once the site of the town hall, which was first mentioned in 1338. It housed the Laško estate administration. The town hall was probably abandoned when Count Janez Vajkard Vetter von der Lilie built a new mansion. The building has since been renovated and robbed of its former glory. Today, you will find there a pub. Above that building, a pillory was situated in the past Today, you will find a pharmacy there.

Show on map >>


Aškerčev trg Square

Askercevtrg.JPG

Askercevtrg.JPG
The Aškerčev trg square was named after Anton Aškerc, Slovenian greatest ballad and romance poet. The square was probably formed in the 12th or 13th century. It developed at the foot of the hill where the local aristocracy lived. The Aškerčev trg square that we know today was built after 1840, when most of the existing neighbouring buildings were destroyed in a disastrous fire. In the centre of the square sits a column topped by a statue of Mary. It was primarily situated at the foot of the hill in Marija Gradec. Today, the Aškerčev trg square is known as Laško’s main square and the venue for many events, surrounded by important milestones from the history of the Laško market town.

Show on map >>


Curacy

kaplanija.JPG

kaplanija.JPG
As of the second half of the 16th century, if not even earlier, the Laško church school lessons were held in the curacy, until a local three-subject “trivial” school opened in 1774. The school later moved to the Špital building. In 1865, the first Slovenian translation of Shakespeare’s Hamlet was written in this very curacy by Karl Šauperl, who was a curate in Laško at the time.

Show on map >>


Rectory

crnimost.jpg

crnimost.jpg
The rectory was built around the 12th century and later expanded in various architectural styles much like the Church of St. Martin. There is a corridor connecting the rectory and the church. The many findings and preserved architectural elements place the rectory among the most important artistic monuments. Between 1530 and 1533, it was the home of Primož Trubar, vicar, Protestant reformer and the father of the first book printed in the Slovenian language, i.e. Abecedarium. A street, an embankment and the primary school in Laško have all been named after him.

Show on map >>


Laško Library – Weichselberger Mansion

knjiznica1.jpg

knjiznica1.jpg
The mighty renaissance mansion, once known as “štok”, is one of the oldest buildings in Laško. Although no sources of its beginnings have been found, it is believed that it was home to the local aristocracy. The mansion was built in the 16th century by Janez Meusenreiter. It was named after its owner Žiga Weichselberger – Višnjegorski, a provincial administrator and Laško judge. The mansion that we know today was built in the 19th century with arcade corridors. Prior to this, the mansion was renovated quite a few times and features Late Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque elements. Today, it houses the Laško library, which offers a wide range of books and other materials and organises various events.

Show on map >>


Laško Museum – Kislinger House

Muzej.JPG

Muzej.JPG
At the entrance of the Weichselberger Mansion stands the former market granary, where the townspeople once stored grain and wine. Now it is the home of the Laško Museum, where the historical development of Laško from prehistoric times up until today has been displayed. The museum houses three permanent exhibitions: Laško – A Trip through Time, Brewery Industry and Spa Tourism and Geology of the Laško Surroundings.

Show on map >>


Tabor Castle

grad.JPG

grad.JPG
The Tabor Castle is situated at the foot of Hum. It is believed to have been built in the 11th century, yet the first description of the castle dates back to 1270. The castle was used as the administrative seat of the local aristocracy and a court of justice. For many years it was pledged to the famous counts of Cilli, who used it as a hunting base. It was named Tabor (Camp) for the role it played in the defence against Turkish invaders.
Thanks to the Laško Brewery, the castle was completely renovated. Inside the castle, there is now a restaurant, featuring superb cuisine and serving local and international food, and a wine cellar. In the pleasant ambient of the castle tower, you will find a wedding hall, where many couples get married.

Show on map >>


Black Bridge

crnimost_1.jpg

crnimost_1.jpg
The wooden Black Bridge on the Žikovca stream where it flows into the Savinja river was built and covered in 1923 for advertising purposes by the owner of the former Laško artificial slate factory. After World War Two, it was replaced by a concrete bridge, which did not fit into the overall appearance of the town. In 1997, a copy of the original wooden bridge was built by the Laško Brewery.

Show on map >>


King of Beer

gambrinus.jpg

gambrinus.jpg
The statue of Gambrinus, the king of beer, was unveiled by the Laško Brewery on its 175th anniversary in 2000. The statue was made by academically trained sculptor Ferenc Kiraly at a summer sculpture workshop in Laško.

Show on map >>


Cultural Centre

kc.jpg

kc.jpg
The centre of cultural events in Laško with its varied cultural programme attracts visitors from Slovenia and abroad. The monumental building was built in 1933, in the time of the Sokol movement, as the Sokol centre. The building was completely renovated in 1994. The modern, 260-seat hall is the venue for concerts of all genres, theatre performances, opera, ballet and children’s shows. Throughout the year, it also houses numerous other events such as art exhibitions by academically trained painters, seminars, conferences and other meetings. The annual events programme is available at TIC Laško.

Show on map >>

Partly cloudy

31°C

Laško

Partly cloudy
Humidity: 36%
Wind: WSW at 11.27 km/h
Friday 18°C / 31°C Thunderstorms
Saturday 15°C / 28°C Partly cloudy
Sunday 17°C / 26°C Thunderstorms
Monday 15°C / 24°C Scattered thunderstorms
Tuesday 13°C / 26°C Thunderstorms
Wednesday 13°C / 26°C Partly cloudy
Thursday 14°C / 26°C Partly cloudy
okvir_m2.png
okvir_m2.png

  

© 2013 STIK,  Sport, tourism, information and cultural centre of Laško. Phone: +386 3 733 89 50. E-mail: tic@stik-lasko.si

NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it. Learn more

I understand