Tabor castle

The Tabor Castle that towers above the city was historically used as the administrative seat of the local aristocracy and a court of justice dating back to the 11th century. Yet, the first mention of the castle dates back to 1270. For many years it was owned by the Counts of Celje, who used it as a hunting base. The name Tabor (Camp) originates from the role it played in the defence against Turkish invaders.

Nowadays it hosts a restaurant with superb culinary offer and a wine cellar.